Canon has released its new EOS RP the second addition to its EOS R range of full frame interchangeable-lens mirrorless cameras. Building upon the Canon proprietary technology, DIGIC 8 image processor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, EOS RP delivers unparalleled optical excellence in a well refined body with enhanced ergonomics for easy operability.
With this product Canon is targeting all photography enthusiasts across genres, to enable users to experience the benefits of a full frame mirrorless camera at an affordable price. The announcement is intended at making full frame mirrorless cameras in India as inclusive as possible, empowering photographers to rethink and reimagine the art of clicking pictures. In line with their EOS philosophy, the imaging leader offers variety of lenses, designed to complement and expand the creative horizons of its users.
The EOS RP can be coupled with RF mount adapter, allowing users full access to Canon’s existing rangeof more than 70 EF and EF-S lenses. With the launch of the EOS RP- the new introduction in the EOS R family, Canon aim to further expand the imaging industry. The EOS RP embodies the strength of the latest EOSR system and also strengthens the legacy of the EOS series.
With an extremely lightweight and compactbody, the EOS RP is a performance packed all rounder that comes with 26.2 megapixel, DualPixel CMOS AF, DIGIC 8 processor making it ideal for advanced still and video shooting.
Key Features of EOS RP
- Powered by Canon’s EOS R System, the EOS RP is equipped with the RF lens mount introduced in the EOS R. The RF mount sports a short flange focal distance of 20mm and was designed with the intention to allow more possibilities in lens design and innovation. Existing EOS users would be able to utilize their existing collection of EF and EF-S lenses using the optional mount adapter, leaving them spoilt for choice.
- The EOS RP embodies the familiar, reliable features of Canon’s EOS performance and excellent ergonomics, delivering an unparalleled image quality that caters to both advanced photographers and those venturing into full-frame cameras. With the Feature Assistant, new users would be able to easily navigate while experienced users would be better poised to make full use of each feature to produce better images Exceptional Image Quality and Details.
- Driven by Canon’s advanced DIGIC 8 image processor, the EOS RP is able to deliver superb image quality in any situation. Its Auto Lighting Optimizer feature balances the brightest and darkest point to accentuate the details of the images to deliver a well exposed image, even in backlit conditions.
- The EOS RP is equipped with a 26.2-megapixel Full-Frame CMOS sensor to capture vivid images with crisp details. Its native ISO range of 100-40,000, which can be expanded to ISO range of 50-102,400, produces low-noise images with rich details, even in low light conditions.
- The Dual Sensing IS of the EOS RP that detects camera shakes from its gyroscopic sensor and the CMOS sensor provides Image Stabilization that allows user to capture images at shutter speed of up to five stops slower, most useful especially in low-light situations.
- The in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer corrects aberrations, diffraction and optical distortions as you shoot, producing excellent image quality right out of the camera Clever Engineering for a Sharp Focus.
- Equipped with the Dual Pixel CMOS AF that provides a smooth and lightning fast autofocus speed up to 0.05 seconds, users can capture fleeting moments such as child’s first step.
- Users will be free to create unique compositions without worrying about the focus, using the 4,779 selectable AF positions within the expanded AF area that covers approximately 100% vertically and 88% horizontally of the frame.
- The minimum AF luminance of EV-5 of EOS RP provides accurate focus even in poorly lit conditions, capturing that gorgeous smile during the candle light dinner in a jazz lounge.
- The Eye Detection AF which even works in Servo AF mode will detect and ensure that the subject’s eye is always in focus even at wide open aperture, especially useful when the subject is moving. When in situations which require minimum disturbance, like shooting intimate moments during a wedding ceremony, in museums or simply to capture candid expressions of people without being intrusive, the camera’s silent mode enables users to shoot in stealth, without the sound of a shutter release.
- For users looking to create images with a large depth of field where everything in the image is in focus, the Focus Bracketing feature of EOS RP would come in handy, especially when shooting macro. It automatically shoots a series of photos based on predetermined settings such as number of shots, focusing range and first focus point.
The series of images could be stitched together to form the final image using the Digital Photo Professional software.
Canon EOS RP Movie Capabilities
- Together with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, the EOS RP shoots in 4K resolution at 24p/25p video footage allowing users to focus accurately and shoot smoothly. With Touch & Drag AF, users can create pull-focus effects and also enable focus transition simply by moving their finger from one to another part of the frame on the LCD screen.
- Combination IS provides users with stable footages even without a tripod, through the innovative and improved communication of the RF mount between the sensor and the lens.
- When recording video with the RF lens, users can adjust the AV setting to make ⅛-stop aperture adjustments, allowing users more precise control over exposure to match the lighting conditions of the shoot. When shooting manually, the MF Peaking function becomes essential, ensuring accurate focusing by highlighting areas in focus.
Enhanced Ergonomics for Ease of Handling
Weighing only 485 grams and built significantly smaller, the EOS RP is easier to handle, especially for users who are new full-frame cameras. For users with larger hands, an optional Extension Grip (EG-E1) comes in handy to ensure firmer handling.
- EOS RP’s Vari-angle touch screen LCD screen offers users the opportunity to shoot from unusual angles and to try out unique framing. Armed with a customisable electronic viewfinder (EVF) that provides 100% coverage, EOS RP’s EVF displays accurate details through its 2.36million dots OLED display, especially useful when working under bright glaring.
- Apart from charging the batteries with the included external charger, the EOS RP can be quickly charged directly with using the optional USB Power Adapter PD-E1, in a speedy manner through its Hi-Speed (USB 2.0/ Type C) Interface Seamless Connection.
- Transferring images from the EOS RP to either a smart device or computer is effortless via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology.
- Users can perform any network-related functions by utilizing Canon Camera Connect app designed for mobile devices. When paired, the automatic data transfer function can send photos to users’ smartphone simultaneously while they are still taking photos. This helps with photos management without having to manually transfer images after shooting.
Canon EOS RP Price and Availability:
EOS RP Body: INR 110,495.00/U (inclusive of all taxes)
EOS RP kit (with RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens): INR 199,490.00/U (inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for EOS RP Body and EOS RP Kit will start from 27 th February 2019.